Monday, May 10, 2010

On Our Own!

Well, it was our first week on our own. It was really pretty good. We made some mistakes each day but we are learning from them. Actually I was the one who made most of the mistakes. Rod tried to teach me the cash register & he couldn't figure out why it took me so long. I would think I had it & then there would be people waiting & I would get flustered & push the wrong button. Oh well, at least they were patient with me. Then there were the few times I hung up on people, or transferred them to the wrong extension. I wonder how long I can blame it on being new? We are enjoying it so much & are working hard each day. Saturday was the busiest day we've had so far.

Along with all the work, we are having some special experiences. Saturday, I was told of 3 children that had passed away that week. I felt like I was in the right place at the right time & was able to explain that we had lost Nathan & how the book, "The Gateway We Call Death", by Elder Russell M. Nelson, & the book, "Life Everlasting", had helped me. Each of them asked me to write down the names on a paper so they could give them to their brother & friends. It broke my heart knowing what they are going through & how hard it is at times. I cried on the way home, thinking of them on Mother's Day & missing my kids.

We still haven't been assigned a ward yet so we've decided to travel around & visit different wards. Yesterday morning we checked the gps & found a ward not too far from here. When we got there, there was a big cross on the building. We could tell it was an old LDS building that had been sold to another church. So we got on the freeway & headed toward Boston & then went south. I kept checking the gps & no LDS churches were coming up so we just kept driving. Pretty soon we saw a sign that said, "Rhode Island - 33 miles". We decided that we might as well go to Rhode Island to go to church & as soon as we crossed the border there was a church 3 miles away. When we got there we thought it might be a false alarm again. There were about 25 parking spaces & it didn't look anything like an LDS church. Then we saw the sign so we went in. It turned out to be a Portuguese & English ward. There were headsets, hymnbooks in both languages & a missionary translating into the headsets. We gave the prayers & had a very good Sacrament Mtg. We met a man who is the grandson of Bishop Wilde in the Willow Ward. What a small world.

Last weekend it was so hot & when we watched the news we found out that Lexington had set a record at 91 degrees. Along with the humidity it was miserable. We were beginning to think that if it was this hot this early we were in for a miserable summer. These past few days have been a lot nicer for us but everyone else thinks it's cold & wear their coats.

Saturday night we went to Gloucester (pronounced - Glawster), with our landlords. It is the home of Gorton's fish company, & was where the movie "Perfect Storm" happened in real life. We had a lobster - clam bake. I want to learn to like lobster while I'm here & I actually liked it. It tasted a lot like Alaskan king crab. It tasted different than I have ever had.

A few people have been asking so we want to give you our address. It is:
17 Holland St. Apt. 3, Lexington, Mass. 02421

We hope all the mother's in our lives had a wonderful Mother's Day!

We send our love to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment