Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Day in the Temple

Terry writes on the blog all the time, so I guess it's my turn. I will try my best to let you know how I feel about my mission and the blessings that come through serving in the House of the Lord. I could not do this without a great companion, which I'm blessed to have.

As I enter the doors of the Temple today I wonder if my offering is going to be accepted by my Heavenly Father today. I know I try to do my best, but is that all I need to do.

I get dressed all in white with my white suit coat on. I look in the mirror and I look pretty good all in white but am I ready to serve. I guess. I go up to the second floor where I serve most of the time. Immediately I help someone get their clothes, and then the phone rings & someone wants to put a couple of names on the Prayer Roll. Sometimes they tell you the tragedies that these persons are involved in and I just listen and try to show compassion with words or by just listening. Then I collect all the names in the several areas of the Temple & take them to the altars and place them in the pouches and take just a minute to think of those persons. Then I go to the Celestial Room, and just sit and reflect and hope that my offering can still be accepted. Twenty minutes later I return to my desk, and record ordinances that have been done. Then I help someone get on the Family Search, and submit paper work so they can do their work for their mother, father, grandparents,or great grandparents etc. The look in their eyes tells you the love they have for their family. Sometimes I continue to help people get clothing and answer the phones. A brother wants me to help in the Initiatories, so I go, remembering that these blessings are for us personally. Each blessing is a reminder to me that Heavenly Father loves us. Today I did not officiate a session, but most days I do. I go back to my desk, and a sister wants me to help her get the card ready for her deceased parents, so she can be sealed to them. I cannot explain the spiritual experience that was to help. The Sealer asked me to go up to the Sealing Room and witness the sealing. After returning to my desk I am then called on to take four children to the upstairs waiting room to get them dressed in white so they could be sealed to their parents. These children were so excited. Today a baptism group came in, and there was no coordinator, so again it was given to me to perform this task. This is one of the special things that I have been called on to do, and I love to do it because I love working with the youth. This time each youth had family names of their own which made it even more special. This was a Portugese Branch so it was done all in Portugese. Most of them could speak English so I could communicate with them though. What a blessing to be with them. The time has come to record the last ordinance for the day, and return to the dressing room and change into my street clothes.

Each day in the Temple is different. That's what makes it special to me. Sometimes we need to be receptive to the needs of the patron because I'm sure that's what this work is all about. Each patron comes in with burdens from the world. Some are light and some are heavy. I hope I can do what my Heavenly Father wants me to do each day to help. As I leave the doors of the Temple today I hope my offering to Him will be accepted, and I know that I will get that confirmation someday. I love this Work!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great Post Dad! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony about your your days. It was wonderful to go to the temple with you guys and share in your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was marvelous to read! I could feel the spirit of the work coming through in your words. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry and Rod, it was so good to see you when I visited Boston. Sory we missed Rod. It is amazing to me what a small world it can be! Keep in touch. Love, Donna, Nathan and family

    ReplyDelete