Saturday, April 10, 2010

Our 1st Week at the MTC.

We have finished our 1st week at the MTC & it was amazing. I have a feeling that "amazing" is going to be the word of choice throughout our mission so if you get tired of hearing it you'll just have to forgive us.

I had been looking forward to the MTC but as Brad was helping us set up our blog the night before I was trying to learn how to do it & all of a sudden I just couldn't hold back the tears. Then as we went to bed I felt like a little girl on Christmas Eve. I was excited, anxious & my mind wouldn't turn off so needless to say I didn't get much sleep. The next morning I was excited but I could feel the Spirit & didn't dare talk much on the ride to the MTC for fear I would burst into tears.

Everyone was so kind as we had orientation. There are a total of 38 couples & 4 senior sisters in our group. It is the largest group of seniors in over a year. There are 5 couples in our district & there is one other couple going to the Boston Temple with us. We are staying at the Super 8 Motel since the housing for seniors is being expanded.

Along with our classes on Tuesday, they gave us about an hour to prepare a 45 min. discussion on the Restoration. Then we went to a church bldg. & had to teach a stranger who was to pretend to be an investigator. As we got to know her we found out that her husband passed away 5 years ago & she has been battling depression. We shared our experiences with Nathan & our testimony of the Plan of Salvation & it was a very sweet experience. We didn't exactly teach the lesson we were supposed to teach but the Spirit directed us to go a different route & instead of helping an investigator we were able to help a sister feel better. We all agreed that we were supposed to meet that day.

That night we went to the fireside given by Elder L. Lionel Kendrick & his wife. He is an emeritus Seventy. They remembered us from our cruise to Australia & New Zeeland & they also know Pres. & Sis. Wood, our Boston Temple President. It was amazing to see & hear about 2,000 missionaries file into the fireside & sing, "Called to Serve".

Tuesday we had more classes & taught another lesson about the Plan of Salvation. At lunch we saw my cousin, Terry Potter. I haven't seen him for about 17 years. I didn't even know he lived here or worked part time at the MTC. He invited us to go to his daughters wedding at the Salt Lake Temple this morning (Saturday).

On Wednesday we were in the lunch line & I saw an Elder & he said, "Oh, my goodness, I can't believe it. Hi, Sis. Metcalf, I'm Elder Metcalf." He was so excited. It was cute. We had more classes all day Wednesday & Thursday & taught more lessons, but what I got most out of those days were the relationships & friendships that we are building. The quality & dedication of these couples are amazing & they are literally going all over the world. Some of the places they are going are, Russia, Phillipines, Taiwan, Africa, Sweden, Mexico, Greece, Brazil, England, New Zeeland, Canada & several in the U.S. They are doing welfare & humanitarian, Temples, office, Visitor's Centers, proselyting & probably others I can't remember. Anyway, we are growing to love many of them.

This morning when we were in the waiting room for weddings, I heard, "Terry Metcalf?" I turned around & there was Cindy Hopper from Georgia. She was a dear friend in Alaska & they moved about 10 years ago. What are the odds of going to the Temple in a different city & running into someone from across the country who is there at exactly the same time & you knew them years ago? It was a very tearful reunion! Another thing that happened this morning was when the Sealer came in & he said, "Hi, Bro. Potter, I'm Bro. Potter". He told us some of his ancestors so I'm going to see if we are tied together. One thing that we are starting to realize is that nothing is a coincidence. I always knew that but it has been very evident this week. I know that we were supposed to meet all of these people here & have these experiences & it has been a very wonderful experience. It makes me wonder who else we will meet on our mission that we feel a connection to? Cindy said it best today when she said that it will probably be like this in the Celestial Kingdom as we meet our families & friends again.

We hope you are all well & happy. We love you!!! Rod & Terry.

No comments:

Post a Comment